| Rowan University is a public comprehensive state-designated research institution with approximately 16,000 students. Its main campus is located in Glassboro, N.J., 20 miles southeast of Philadelphia, with additional campuses in Camden and Stratford. The University comprises seven colleges and five schools: the William G. Rohrer College of Business; the Henry M. Rowan College of Engineering; the Colleges of Communication and Creative Arts, Education, Humanities and Social Sciences, Performing Arts, and Science and Mathematics; the Cooper Medical School of Rowan University; the Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine; the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences; the School of Health Professions; and the School of Earth and Environment. Rowan is one of two public universities in the country to offer M.D. and D.O. medical degree programs. The institution is also home to the South Jersey Technology Park, which fosters the translation of applied research into commercial products and processes. Rowan has been recognized as one of the top 100 public universities in the nation and is ranked third among public institutions in the North by U.S. News & World Report. |
The Electrician takes the lead in maintaining primary and secondary electrical systems in the facility. Installs, tests, repairs and replaces lights and power circuitry, electrical and electronic equipment, alarm systems and electric motors, machinery and appliances. Ensures work is done in compliance with local, state and national codes. Directs other mechanics and helpers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
1. Performs routine preventive maintenance on motors, transformers, emergency generators, storage batteries, lighting, fuse panels, emergency and fire alarm systems and other electrical and electronic equipment on a daily, weekly or monthly basis.
2. Responds to electrical trouble calls throughout the facility.
3. Inspects, tests and repairs electrical systems, electrical components used in heating and air conditioning systems, clock systems, pneumatic tube systems and other electronic equipment.
4. Read blueprints, diagrams and equipment specifications.
5. Installs, repairs and replaces electrical circuits and equipment; included are motors, conduits, switches, outlets, wiring panels, plugs, fuses and insulators.
6. Conducts periodic inspections to ensure that electrical and electronic equipment and power lines are in proper working condition. Uses test equipment such as ammeters, ohmmeters, voltmeters and testing lamps.
7. Performs load analysis and may install new distribution systems which include equipment such as transformers and circuit interrupters.
8. Makes emergency electrical repairs, troubleshoots malfunctions and breakdowns.
9. Inspects work in progress and completed work for defects, fire hazards or other unsafe conditions. Is familiar with the use and nomenclature of various types of conduit and fitting cables, insulators and other equipment.
10. Works from electrical schematics, plans and specifications in accordance with established procedures.
11. Requisitions, stores, safeguards and properly uses electrical equipment, materials and supplies.
12. Keeps records of equipment, materials used, work done and time spent.
13. As required, may assign, layout and guide electrical work for Trades Helpers and Mechanics.
14. Keeps work areas clean and orderly.
15. Performs other Facility related duties as required, which may include, but are not limited to snow removal and/or other related facility duties.
16. Understands and adheres to RowanSOM compliance standards as they appear in Rowan SOM Corporate Compliance Policy, Code of Conduct and Conflict of Interest Policy.
17. Must be able to maintain a New Jersey Qualified Journeyman Electrician License.
18. Must possess and maintain a valid driver?s license.
19. Complies with legacy attendance policies of RowanSOM and Facilities Operations and Plant Management in order to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
20. Interacts with persons of all ages in a diverse, multicultural environment with respect and consideration
21. Performs final check and clean up at end of shift.
22. Performance must exhibit good customer service skills and teambuilding by cultivating and maintaining rapport with customers and co-workers.
23. Presents a clean uniform appearance.
24. Performs other related duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed must be representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensure, experience, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Technical school diploma or equivalent level of knowledge and a minimum of five years of progressively more responsible experience as an electrician, at least three years of which shall have involved taking the lead in the installation, repair and maintenance of electrical systems. Thorough knowledge of local, state and national codes. Must have a valid driver?s license.
Position requires the individual to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms and climb or balance up to 2/3 of the time; to sit, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, to talk or hear and to taste or smell less than 1/3 of the time; to lift a weight or exert force from 10 to 25 pounds up to 2/3 of the time, from 50 pounds to over 100 pounds less than 1/3 of the time. Ability to perform physical labor without restrictions, including lifting equipment in excess of fifty (50) pounds, performing work on roofs, scaffolding and ladders. The position requires close, distance and color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception as well as the ability to adjust focus
The individual in this position may be exposed to environmental conditions such as wet or humid conditions (non-weather), work near moving mechanical parts, work in high, precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, outdoor weather conditions, extreme heat or cold (non-weather), risk of electrical shock, and vibration up to 2/3 of the time; to risk of radiation less than 1/3 of the time. Moderate noise is typical for the work environment of this job.
Please be advised that some positions are subject to the residency requirements of the NJ First Act (N.J.S.A. 52:14-7, P.L. 2011, Chapter 70). Any person hired into identified positions shall either have their principal residence in New Jersey or they have one year from the date of employment to establish, and then maintain, principal residence in the State of New Jersey. The law also provides that any person may petition a State committee for an exemption from the requirements based on critical need or hardship.
Rowan University values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in employment.
All positions are contingent upon budget appropriations.
The Stratford, NJ Campus is a Tobacco-Free Workplace.